Frequently Asked Questions

How much does an initial consultation cost at Wilson Law Office (WLO)?
At Wilson Law Office, your initial consultation is free of charge. We value taking time to listen to your specific needs in order to proceed with confidence and direction throughout your legal journey.

How much will it cost for Wilson Law Office to take on my case?
The cost of representation depends on what type of case you hire us for. There are three types of fees.

• Hourly—for family law cases and civil litigation
• Contingency—for personal injury cases
• Flat fee—for criminal and immigration cases

At WLO, we take your specific circumstances into consideration when quoting you a fee. Every case requires unique legal aid and, therefore, a unique fee that works best for each party involved.

Can I make incremental payments over time to Wilson Law Office?
Yes. While we do require the payment of certain flat fees up front to get started, we give many of our clients the opportunity to make payments over time according to their specific needs and financial circumstances.

Does Wilson Law Office accept credit cards?
Yes. We accept all major credit cards including: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover

Can Wilson Law Office get my family member or loved one out of jail?
While we can’t technically get your family member or loved one out of jail, we can legally advocate for them in many ways. We can start by meeting with the person in jail and, from there, make an argument for their release at the initial court appearance or advocate to have bail set at a reasonable amount.
Once bail is set, you will work with a bail bondsman to post a bond for you. Bail bond companies typically require collateral and charge a non-refundable fee of 10% of the amount of bail they post for you.

Does hiring Wilson Law office guarantee I don’t have to serve time in jail?
At WLO, we fight for our clients and do everything we can to minimize detrimental legal consequences. While we would love to tell you that hiring us would mean you wouldn’t have to go to jail, we cannot ethically make that promise.
Regardless, we promise to fight for your rights and accompany you with compassionate, experienced, and aggressive representation along each step of your legal journey. That’s a promise we guarantee to keep.

How much time, if any, do I have to spend in jail before my case is resolved?
As a defendant in jail, you have a constitutional right to a speedy trial, but the time it takes to see your case in court depends on the type of crime you’re charged with. Other considerations may apply as well, such as evidence being tested and investigations being completed. No matter what, we at Wilson Law Office will do our best to ensure your time in jail is kept at a minimum and that your case concludes as quickly as possible as long as that works in your favor.

Upon my arrest, the police issued me a seizure notice for my property. What can I do to legally re-obtain my property?
In a court of law, a defendant maintains the right to legally contend a seizure or forfeiture of property. To contest a forfeiture, certain procedures and timelines apply that might also require payment of court filing fees (fees that often hover around $325). Often, forfeiture matters tie in with criminal charges. And, the outcome of the criminal charges often impact forfeiture proceedings. As someone in this situation, the best thing you can do is to obtain an attorney as quickly as possible to discuss your rights and options.

How can I obtain custody over my children if the current custodial parent does not allow me any parenting time?
Start by seeking paternity status. Then, file a motion for both custody and parenting time. Currently, a presumption exists that entitles a non-custodial parent to 35% of parenting time. The court also factors in what’s best for the child’s interest in order to decide custody and parenting time.

A court ordered me to pay child support, but I may not be the father of the child. What are my legal options?
If paternity has not been established, you can request genetic testing to determine if you are the father of the child. If you are not the father, then a court could likely cancel their request for you to pay child support.

I’ve been paying child support without a court order but am now being taken to court for more child support. What can I do legally?
If there is no child support order in effect, we will have to determine your income and the other parent’s income (gross monthly income, not net income), the expenses for childcare and medical insurance, and the amount of court-ordered parenting time in order to calculate child support according to the Minnesota Child Support Guidelines. Through this process, you could potentially escape paying more for childcare. Nothing is guaranteed, but this is a good place to start.

Can I have the amount of child support I currently pay lowered now that I make less than I did compared to when the current order for child support was issued?
Yes, there is a distinct possibility you could end up paying less. It’s possible, but not guaranteed. Under Minnesota law, child support may be modified in certain situations. Qualifying situations potentially include a substantial reduction (or increase) in income, a change of other life circumstances, more parenting time, or an increase or decrease in expenses for the child or children you pay support for.

My former spouse is not complying with the terms of our divorce agreement. What are my legal options?
Your best option is to file a motion for contempt and compel your former spouse to come to court and explain why they are not complying with the court order. Potentially, the judge could allow your former spouse to fix the contempt and comply. In extreme circumstances, the judge could even sentence the non-complying party to jail.

A court just served me an OFP that is based on lies. What can I do legally?
Luckily, you may have several legal options in this scenario. First of all, the availability of options depends on how long ago the OFP was issued. You may be able to demand a hearing (the request has to be made within the time indicated on the OFP) or file a motion for relief from the OFP (depending on the circumstances). Questions? We can help.

Let's Connect